Most people want to lead a happy and successful life. This is not often the case for people who suffer from low self-esteem. But there are ways in which a person can improve their self-esteem and improve the quality of their life.
There are many things that can affect a person's self-esteem, how a person views him/herself in the realm of his/her life. Self-respect and self-esteem go hand-in-hand to make your life enjoyable, happy, and successful - both on a personal growth level and a business level. If you suffer from low self-esteem, there are ways in which you can improve your self-esteem.
1. The first step in building your self-esteem is learning to focus on your achievements - whether the accomplishment is small or large, focus on what it meant to you at the time that made the accomplishment.
2. Focus on the positive aspects of your life - the things that make your life worthwhile. Rather than accepting and dwelling on negative experiences, find ways in which you can turn the experience into a positive one.
3. Focus on the things that you like about yourself, and the things that your friends and family like about you. Rather than focusing on the things that you do not like about yourself, think of constructive ways in which these things can be changed - and if something cannot be changed, learn to accept it as a part of who you are.
4. Accept yourself for who you are. Learn to accept the things that you cannot change and focus on the positive things about yourself. If you have a mental or physical disability, learn to accept the fact that you cannot change it, and focus on the positive aspects of yourself such as your personality, your ability to be a good friend, and your ability to love and care for others.
5. Learn to change your inner critic from a negative, criticizing voice into a positive voice that offers constructive criticism rather than finding fault with yourself.
6. Associate with people who are positive and supportive. If you surround yourself with negative people, your feeling will tend to be negative. Positive, supportive friends can help to raise your self-esteem by providing a nurturing environment for you.
7. Don't compare yourself to others. There will always be people that have more than you, but there are also those who have less than you. Focus on what you do have rather than what you don't have, and on what you can do well rather than what you can't do well.
8. Focus on your positive qualities - honesty, creativeness, unselfishness, helpfulness, communication skills, and your ability to care for the welfare of others.
9. Turn your home into a haven in which you can escape the busy, hectic world with these relaxation techniques. Surround yourself with relaxing music, good books, and wonderful friends. Create a space where you can spend some time alone reflecting on your goals and accomplishments in a positive and relaxing atmosphere.
10. Learn to forgive yourself when you do not accomplish all that you set out to. Everyone falls short sometimes, but rather than focusing on the negative aspects, learn to readjust your goals so that you have a better chance of meeting them. Almost any negative experience can be turned into a positive experience with the right attitude.
For more information take a look at this other article titled "What is Self Esteem".